Admissions Process

Admissions Process

INFO
stories
top
moments

Admissions Process

The main entry points to St Dunstan's College are Nursery (age 3+), Reception (age 4+), Year 3 (age 7+), Year 7 (age 11+), Year 9 (age 13+) and Sixth Form (16+ post GCSE).

Admission to the College is competitive at all levels and depends on academic ability and the demonstration of potential. There is no formal assessment for admission to the Nursery. Our entry processes are specially designed to help children show us what they can do and we always take great care to put candidates at ease, so that they can perform to the best of their ability.

Occasional places do become available in other year groups, so do contact us if you are considering a change of school, or you are moving into the area mid-way through the school year. We are particularly used to accepting and working with international re-locations, with families who are either moving back to the UK or who are considering an education in the UK for their child. The diverse and international make-up of our College community makes us particularly attractive to families in this situation.

Nursery

We accept registrations for our Nursery from birth, and early registration is advised. Children are considered for entry to the Nursery provided they have reached the age of 3 by the start of the Michaelmas Term. The first 50 applicants are invited to interview in the preceding Michaelmas Term. We will hold a waiting list of 30 applicants thereafter.

If you have any further questions concerning your child joining our Nursery, please email Mrs Rosemary Scard rscard@sdmail.org.uk or telephone her on 020 8516 7225.

Click here for the Nursery registration form.

Reception

Our 4+ assessments for September 2017 entry will take place on Saturday 12 November 2016.

Deadline for submission of registration forms is Friday, 14 October 2016.

Our entry process is specially designed to help the children show us what they can do and everything is undertaken in a thoughtful, caring and friendly manner. During the assessment we ask children to:

• Listen and respond to a story
  • Draw a picture
  • Match letters and words
  • Play memory games
  • Discuss shapes and colours
  • Follow patterns

The children will also be assessed in small groups to assess social skills. Parents of successful candidates will be invited for an interview during November and offer letters will be sent out in December.

If you have any further questions concerning your child joining us in Reception, please email Mrs Rosemary Scard rscard@sdmail.org.uk or telephone her on 020 8516 7225.

Click here for the Reception registration forms.

Prep

Entry into Years 3 to 6 involves an assessment of the child's academic achievement and potential, an evaluation of their social skills and consideration of school reports. Year 3 group assessments take place in January prior to entry and focuses on numeracy, literacy and social skills. 

Our 7+ assessments for September 2017 entry will take place on Wednesday, 11 January 2017.

Deadline for submission of registration forms is Friday, 2 December 2016.

Assessments for other year groups are arranged throughout the year and include Mathematics, English, reasoning and social skills.

If you have any further questions concerning your child joining us in Years 3 to 6, please email Mrs Rosemary Scard rscard@sdmail.org.uk or telephone her on 020 8516 7225.

Click here for the Prep registration form.

Senior School

Entry to Years 7 to 10 in the Senior School is based on entrance examinations, interview, school reports and a reference from current Headteacher.

Year 7 (11+ entry) 2017

Registration for entry in September 2017 must be made by 16.00 on Wednesday 30 November 2016. Once you have registered your child, an acknowledgement letter with further information on the Entrance Examination will be sent to you.

If you have requested a place on the Examination Preparation Scheme by ticking the box on the back of the registration form and paying the £100 for the scheme, an acknowledgement letter with further details will be sent to you.

The Entrance Examination for September 2017 entry takes place on Wednesday 11 January 2017. Candidates come into the College for a day and sit tests in English, Mathematics, Verbal Reasoning and Abstract Reasoning. (Click here for the English specimen paper & here for the Mathematics specimen paper).

We expect girls and boys to be achieving mostly Level 5 in National Curriculum English and Mathematics, and the papers we set reflect the work contained in Levels 4 to 6.

Successful candidates will then be invited for an interview. Those who have shown a high level of academic ability will be interviewed for our Academic Scholarships.  Those who have not performed well enough to be considered for interview will receive a letter to that effect in the days following the examinations.

Examination Preparation Scheme (11+ entry only)

The St Dunstan's College 11+ Examination Preparation Scheme runs across three Saturday mornings in late November and early December and is open to children who have registered for a Year 7 place and are entered for our entrance examination. The 2017 dates are:

Session 1 - Saturday 19 November 2016,

Session 2 - Saturday 26 November 2016

Session 3 - Saturday 3 December 2016.

Year 9 (13+ entry)

Registration for entry in September 2017 must be made by 16.00 on Wednesday 30 November 2016. Candidates will sit our own examination in English, Mathematics and Verbal Reasoning, and may be invited to attend an interview.  Entrance examinations for 13+ entry will take place on Wednesday 11 January 2017.

If you have any queries regarding your child joining us in the Senior School please contact the Senior School Admissions Office on admissions@sdmail.org.uk or call 020 8516 7226.

Click here for the Senior School registration form.

Click here for the Senior School Admissions dates 2016 - 2017. 

Sixth Form

Every year we welcome new students from both independent and state schools in the UK and overseas into our Sixth Form.

Once registered, candidates will be invited to the College for assessments on Saturday 12 November 2016.  The admissions process is as below:

• Two subject papers in subjects students intend to study at A Level
  • A verbal reasoning paper
  • A personal statement task

Following the entrance examinations, successful candidates will be invited into college for interviews as below:

• An interview with the Head of Sixth Form
  • A reference from the students current school

Offers are conditional on students’ GCSE results. We require a minimum of six A* to B grades, as well as A grades or higher in the subjects students wish to study at A Level.

The closing date for applications is 12 noon on Monday 31 October 2016.

Click here for the Sixth Form registration form.

Click here for the Sixth Form Admissions dates 2016 - 2017.

Download a copy of our Sixth Form Prospectus 2017/18