Admissions Process

Admissions Process

INFO
stories
top
moments

Admissions Process

The main points of entry to St Dunstan's College are Nursery (age 3+), Reception (age 4+), Year 3 (age 7+), Year 7 (age 11+), Year 9 (age 13+) and Sixth Form (16+ post GCSE).

Admission to the College is competitive at all levels and depends on academic ability, the demonstration of potential and learning behaviours. Our entry processes are designed to help children show us what they can do and we always take great care to put candidates at ease, so that they can perform to the best of their ability.

Occasional places do become available in other year groups, so do contact us if you are considering a change of school, or if you are moving to the area mid-way through the school year. We are particularly used to accepting and working with international re-locations, with families who are either moving back to the UK or who are considering an education in the UK for their child. The diverse and international make-up of our College community makes us particularly attractive to families in this situation.

Nursery

We accept registrations for our Nursery from birth, and early registration is advised. Children are considered for entry to the Nursery provided they have reached the age of 3 by the start of the Michaelmas Term. The first 50 applicants are invited to interview in the preceding Michaelmas Term. We will hold a waiting list of 30 applicants thereafter.

If you have any further questions concerning your child joining our Nursery, please email Mrs Rosemary Scard rscard@sdmail.org.uk or telephone her on 020 8516 7225.

Please Click HERE for the Junior School Registration Form.

Reception

Our 4+ assessments for September 2017 entry will take place on Saturday 11 November 2017.

Deadline for submission of registration forms is Friday, 13 October 2017

Our entry process is specially designed to help the children show us what they can do and everything is undertaken in a thoughtful, caring and friendly manner. During the assessment we ask children to:

• Listen and respond to a story
  • Draw a picture
  • Match letters and words
  • Play memory games
  • Discuss shapes and colours
  • Follow patterns

The children will also be assessed in small groups to assess social skills. Parents of successful candidates will be invited for an interview during November and offer letters will be sent out in December.

If you have any further questions concerning your child joining us in Reception, please email Mrs Rosemary Scard rscard@sdmail.org.uk or telephone her on 020 8516 7225.

Prep

We are not currently accepting registrations for 7+. 

Entry into Years 3 to 6 involves an assessment of the child's academic achievement and potential, an evaluation of their social skills and consideration of school reports. Year 3 group assessments take place in January prior to entry and focuses on numeracy, literacy and social skills. 

Assessments for other year groups are arranged throughout the year and include Mathematics, English, reasoning and social skills.

If you have any further questions concerning your child joining us in Years 3 to 6, please email Mrs Rosemary Scard rscard@sdmail.org.uk or telephone her on 020 8516 7225.

Senior School

Children who wish to enter the Senior School at St Dunstan’s College are assessed on the basis of Entrance Assessments, Interview and School Reference from your child’s current Headteacher. Please note that when registering your interest for the College, you agree with the College’s policy not to provide feedback or information on individual performance or results and the declaration statements contained within the online form.

Entry to St Dunstan’s College is competitive at all entry points and successful applicants will ordinarily be currently working above all standardised National Level averages.

All enquiries regarding immediate entry and entry for September 2017 should be directed to the Senior School Admissions Office on admissions@sdmail.org.uk or by telephone on 020 8516 7226.

Year 7 (11+ Entry) 2018

Please Click HERE for the Senior School Registration Form.

Please click HERE for Senior School Admissions Dates 2017 - 2018

Registration for entry in September 2018 must be made by 1600 on Friday 1 December 2017. Once you have registered your child, an acknowledgement letter will be sent. Once the deadline has passed, a reference, which should include the latest school report, will be sought from your child’s school.

If you have requested a place on the Examination Preparation Scheme, by completing this part of the registration form and paying £100 for the scheme, an acknowledgement letter with further details will be sent to you.

The Entrance Assessments for September 2018 entry take place on Wednesday 10 January 2018. Candidates will sit a series of online ISEB assessments relating to English, Mathematics, Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning. In addition, all candidates will experience a taught lesson during which their approaches to learning in a classroom context will be observed by staff. St Dunstan’s College values, encourages, and reports on the development of strong learning behaviours for all current pupils as a primary driver for fulfilling potential. Descriptions of the learning behaviours we use for reports once students are part of the College can be found HERE. The College also aims to actively promote its values through its teaching. The College values can be found HERE.

After the Entrance Assessments, successful candidates are called for interview at the College. It is important to note that being called for interview does not automatically ensure a place at the College. The interviews will be held in small groups. During the interview there will be an opportunity for parents to meet with a member of senior staff at the College.

Those who have not performed well enough to be considered for interview will receive a letter to that effect in the days following the examination.

Those who have shown a particularly high level of academic ability in the Entrance Assessments will be called for Academic Scholarship Interview. Please note that it is not possible to apply for an Academic Scholarship. Details of the Academic Scholarship Interview will be sent to successful candidates.

Final decisions and offer letters, including offers of scholarship and decisions over bursaries, will be sent on Thursday 8 February 2018 with an acceptance deadline of Monday 5 March 2018 at 1600. Any acceptances received after this time cannot be guaranteed a place at the College. Some candidates may be placed on a waiting list and where this is the case, we would hope to be in a position to update you on the situation by 1600 on Friday 9 March. Please note that it is not College policy to reveal where candidates sit on the waiting list.

Examination Preparation Scheme (11+ entry only)

To read about our Examination Preparation Scheme, please click HERE

Year 8 (12+), Year 9 (13+) or Year 10 (14+) Entry 2018

Although Years 8, 9 and 10 are not usual entry points for us, spaces do occasionally become available.

The Entrance Assessments for September 2018 entry take place on Wednesday 10 January 2018. Candidates will sit a series of entrance examinations in English, Mathematics and Verbal Reasoning.

After the Entrance Assessments, successful candidates are called for interview at the College. It is important to note that being called for interview does not automatically ensure a place at the College. During the interview there will be an opportunity for parents to meet with a member of senior staff at the College.

Those who have not performed well enough to be considered for interview will receive a letter to that effect in the days following the assessments.

Final decisions and offer letters will be sent on Thursday 16 February 2018 with an acceptance deadline of Friday 23 February 2018 at 1600. Any acceptances received after this time cannot be guaranteed a place at the College.

Sixth Form

Every year we welcome new students from both independent and state schools in the UK and overseas into our Sixth Form.

Once registered, candidates will be invited to the College for assessments on Saturday 11 November 2017.  

The admissions process is as below:

• Two subject papers in subjects students intend to study at A Level
  • A verbal reasoning paper
  • A personal statement task

Following the entrance examinations, successful candidates will be invited into College for an interview with the Head of Sixth Form. Parents will also have the opportunity to meet with a senior member of staff. A reference from the student’s current school will be taken at this time.

Entry requirements for the Sixth Form are currently set at six grades 9-6 (A*-B equivalent) at GCSE, with 9-7 (A*/A equivalent) grades in the subjects appropriate to the student’s choice of A Levels.

The closing date for applications is 1600 on Friday 3 November 2017.

Click HERE for the Sixth Form registration form.

Click HERE for the Sixth Form Admissions dates 2017-2018.

Download a copy of our Sixth Form Prospectus 2017/18 by clicking HERE.