Life after St Dunstan’s
Preparing for university
The College provides extensive support with the process of applying to university, whether UK-based or internationally. The Head of UCAS runs a series of events to prepare students for university application including inviting university Admissions Tutors to speak with students, providing one-to-one guidance sessions and getting to grips with the all-important personal statement as well as more practical sessions on student finance, accommodation and gap years.
Students considering applying for highly-competitive university places are supported with a programme of academic seminars, run by specialist teachers providing an environment of robust academic debate and thought-provoking questions. Students who wish to continue with an application to Oxford and Cambridge are supported through a dedicated series of lectures which elucidate and explain the processes and requirements for making a strong application, as well as providing support with personal statements, entrance exam preparation and mock interviews.
Students aspiring to professions such as Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Science are also supported through the process by a designated member of staff who will oversee your application progress and provide guidance on entrance examinations and interview preparation. A student-run Medical Society also meets regularly and organises speakers, mock interviews and a reading group.
The College’s Head of Careers, Ms Rich, is available to students to support them with their career aspirations and with work experience opportunities. Each year, the College holds a very popular Careers Convention which is attended by delegates from a diverse range of fields, reflecting the diverse range of employment opportunities pursued by our students and allowing them to network and ask questions of those with the most up to date careers information. Students will also be supported with writing CVs, application forms and advice on interviews and assessment centres via the tutorial programme.
The Dunstonian Association has a thriving community that interacts via SDConnect, an interactive Alumni Platform which is a powerful tool for all former students, parents and staff to remain connected with life at St Dunstan’s: https://dunstonians.org.uk
- PROFILE: Alumni can create a new profile online or synch instantly from an existing LinkedIn profile.
- DIRECTORY: Former students can reconnect with old friends and invite others on to the portal.
- JOBS and OPPORTUNITIES: Job vacancies, internships and study placements are shared with all connections.
- EVENTS: Upcoming events taking place at St Dunstan’s College whether it be a drama production, a Dunstonian Association reunion or a lunchtime Lecture, are regularly posted on the platform
- CLUBS: the DA runs various sports clubs which always look for new members!
- ARCHIVES: the College's rich archives have started being digitalised and one can have access to them after registering onto SDConnect.
- MERCHANDISE: A range of branded merchandise is to be launched in time for Christmas shopping in Autumn 2020- watch this space!